This is one of our greatest strengths and we have one of the most outstanding transportation lawyers in the country. The office in Taipei has been listed by a global guide on the international legal market based in London as a top-tier firm for transportation law in Taiwan. We handle cargo and passenger injury claims for aviation matters and all of the various facets of international shipping law covering casualty investigation, cargo damage, crew injury, collision, salvage, pollution, FD&D, ship finance, ship building contracts and the S&P of second hand tonnage. We have also challenged the package limitation on both the WARSAW Convention and the H-V Rules before the Taiwanese Courts on countless occasions. We act for passengers, crews, shipowners, cargo and hull underwriters, P&I Clubs and freight forwarders.
Members of the firm had been involved in a number of high profile matters which includes the “Chang Yun” oil tanker explosion incident which gave rise to one of the heaviest coastal pollutions in Taiwanese history. Further examples of cases recently handled by the firm would include the following:
- Represented a number of passengers and their families in a claim against an international airline for personal injury and death following the air-crash disaster at C.C.K. International Airport in 2000.
- Dispatched an emergency response team offshore to a grounding site in the suez canal to investigate, negotiate and attend to the grounding of a 5,000 teu Taiwanese container vessel.
- Represented a major U.S. Petroleum Company, a major shipowner in Malaysia, and a major U.S. bunker supplier in claims made against the demised Kien Hung Shipping Company based in Taipei and the subsequent arrest and auction of her vessel in Taiwan.
- Advised a major Taiwanese shipowner in the structuring of a US$80 million syndicated loan with off shore banks for the financing of new buildings.
- Represented a local Taiwan commercial port in dealing with a grounding incident that caused a complete shut-down of all commercial vessel traffic activities within the port for a long period of time
The firm is constantly rated as a top tier 1 firm for its Shipping Practice in Taiwan by one of the best international guides on law firm recommendations.