Mergers and Acquisitions
The preliminary job in most mergers and acquisitions in Taiwan is to locate potential regulatory problems and formulate response strategies to tackle these expected trouble spots. Issues that most of our clients would face include limitations on the size of foreign investment allowed into Taiwan, restrictions on the nationality of company D&O, unfair trade and competition law issues, limitations against public listing in the Taiwanese OTC or main board, as well as restrictions on acquisition currency other than cash. Due diligence would cause a different set of problems altogether due to the lack of transparency in many corporate and business entities in Taiwan. What we do here is advise our clients on the best way to complete an M&A deal and to attain the desired results whilst exposing them to the least possible risk.
Our practice in mergers and acquisitions spans across a wide variety of industry while our tax and competition law personnel provides further support on due diligence exercises and advice on the compliance of merger control regulations.
The scope of our work in this area would include performing due diligence, advising vendors, purchasers, and other professional advisers in the structuring and completing of acquisitions as well as the dispositions of shares and assets, advising on mergers, takeovers, amalgamations, de-mergers, and share buy-backs.
The following are examples of major deals that members of the firm have been involved in:
- Representation of a major U.S. direct equity investor in the acquisition of 25 independent cable television operators and the establishment of Taiwan’s first multiple operator system.
- Representation of a major Taiwanese Consortium in the purchase of the Taiwan manufacturing line of a major apparel company based in Japan.
- Representation of a major transportation company listed in Taiwan in the acquisition of its trading partner in the Netherlands as well as 6 other of its subsidiaries.
- Representation of a global business consultancy company in the acquisition of another major consultancy company competing in the Taiwanese market.
- Representation of a U.S. underwater cable company in the acquisition of business assets in Taiwan by a major Taiwanese telecommunications company.